This post is in response to Daily Prompt – Full Disclosure
A mad scientist friend offers you a chip that would allow you to know what the people you’re talking to are thinking. The catch: you can’t turn it off. Do you accept the chip?
Your parcel with that amazing chip arrived today. Congratulations !! A chip that enables a person to listen to what the other person is thinking while talking to him, is definitely an exciting invention. It might get you the Nobel Prize too !!!
The offer to participate in your experiment is tempting :
- It will be an asset in my workplace. I’ll know exactly what my customer wants. Negotiating deals will be super smooth. Appreciation – Promotion – Salary Hike!!
- At home, I’ll know if the curry I’m so proud of is really ‘Yummy’ or a camouflaged ‘ Okay’.
- I’ll no longer need to carry pepper spray in my bag when I go partying on friday nights . I’ll know when the guy sitting next to me at the bar is trying to be ‘ more than just friends’.
However, after serious thoughts, I have decided to decline your offer :
- Challenges give me a high. I enjoy meeting my customer and engaging in discussions to understand his requirement. The hard work put in to understand and tailor a deal that fits the customer requirement perfectly gives me immense satisfaction. Having this chip as an assistant will no doubt make my job easy but will not bring in the satisfaction.
- When it comes to feedback, my family is usually frank and to the point. In case they sugar coat it, I’m sure they do it for encouragement. The chip will be a damper, will make me doubt their feedback and will be a major trust issue.
- I’m a people’s person, love gossips as well as debates and discussions. With the chip on and complete access to the other person’s thought, the conversations will be very boring.
For me, Ignorance is Bliss !!